Student FAQ’s

 1.  Am I required to take the math and chemistry placement exams prior to enrolling in first-semester coursework at UConn?

The Math Placement Exam (MPE) must be taken prior to your participation in orientation. It must be completed regardless of incoming AP, ECE, or transfer credits.  The Chemistry Placement Exam (CPE) must be taken prior to your participation in orientation. The score on your CPE will not affect your Chemistry placement for the School of Engineering.


2.  What Advanced Placement (AP)/Early College Credit (ECE) coursework does UConn accept and what is the process for score submission?

UConn accepts AP coursework with the scores found here. If you have earned the appropriate score, the course will fulfill your major requirements and will not have to be taken at UConn. This may allow you to move to the subsequent course in a sequence and/or will allow a lighter course load to be taken during a particular semester. You must submit your AP scores to UConn via

ECE coursework will transfer in as graded college credit. You will have the opportunity to accept or reject each ECE course for your official transcript.


3.  I have transfer coursework from another institution.  What is the process for submission of this coursework to UConn?

If you have completed coursework at a different institution, please have your official transcript sent to UConn transfer admissions. You may need to obtain syllabi from specific courses for departmental equivalency review.  You can find more information about transfer coursework/admissions here.


4.  What is the process for adding a dual degree or double major and what is the difference between the two?

Dual degrees are the addition of a major outside of the School of Engineering.  Double majors are the addition of a second engineering major.  Engineering students have the option to explore either scenario, which may add an additional year onto your college experience. You can discuss your interest in either of these options with your academic advisor during the fall semester.


5.  How do I add a minor? 

Students can add minors of any type to their engineering degree. Typically, minors are an additional 5-6 courses and will count as free elective credit towards your engineering degree.


6.  What is the process for changing my major within the School of Engineering?

Here is more information about our internal admission process and criteria. Students can apply for a major change once a semester, deadlines are December 25th (for spring admission consideration) and May 25th (for fall admission consideration). Students get notified through their UConn email of their admission status in mid-January and mid-June. To apply, students just need to submit the request on portal.  


7.  How do I declare a concentration within my major?

Students can declare a concentration through the portal.  Typically, concentration requests are reviewed on a weekly basis.


8.  When and how often can I switch majors at UConn?

You have the option to change your major at any point during your time at UConn. Some majors have specific admissions requirements and deadlines, while others accept students on a rolling basis and do not have GPA requirements. The semester in which you make a switch, and to which specific major, will determine how the length of your academic career would be affected. Your academic advisor can help you with this process.

If you would like to inquire about switching your major prior to attending UConn in the fall, please contact the undergraduate admissions office directly.


9.  How do I add, drop or swap a course after the 10th day of the semester?

Students who are looking to add, drop, or swap courses after the 10th day of the semester, need to fill out the student enrollment request form on the Registrar’s website.  This form goes through various levels of approval (advisor, department, etc.) and you have the ability to view where your request falls in the approval chain by logging back into the student enrollment request portal.  

Please note: Any course dropped after the first ten days of classes will receive a ‘W’ on the transcript.


10.  How do I add independent study or research credits to my course schedule?

Students need to fill out the student enrollment request form on the Registrar’s website.


11.  How do I withdraw from a course?  How do I put a course on Pass/Fail?

Withdraw: Students need to fill out the student enrollment request form on the Registrar’s website.  After the tenth day of classes and through the eleventh week of the semester, a student may Withdraw from one course (for any reason) with permission from the student’s advisor.

Pass/Fail: A student who has earned at least 26 credits and is not on scholastic probation may elect a maximum of 12 credits (not including credits on P/F recorded in spring 2020) to be distributed over not more than three courses, to be recorded as ‘P’ for Pass or ‘F’ for Fail on his or her permanent record. Courses taken Pass-Fail may only be used as electives; they may not be used to satisfy general education, school/college, major or minor requirements.


12. How do I find the prerequisites and/or corequisites for a course?

All course prerequisite and corequisite information can be found here:


13.  How can I view the status of course requirements that are satisfied and unsatisfied?

Students can view all their course requirements (satisfied and unsatisfied) by viewing their academic requirements report in the Student Administration System.  Take the time to familiarize yourself with this report and refer back to it often!


14.  What is the Student Administration System and when should I use it?

The Student Administration System houses all academic-related information and gives you the ability to: view your enrollment time/course schedule, view holds, add/swap courses, enroll in courses, view transcripts/transfer credits and so much more.  

Pro-tip: Bookmark this link.  This link contains step by step instructions for how to use the various features within the Student Administration System.


15.  I am interested in studying abroad.  Is this a feasible option for an engineering student?

Engineering students have two options to study abroad. One is through a university education abroad program and the other is through our international engineering programs.

University education abroad programs are typically one semester. Engineering major specific coursework may or may not be completed while abroad. The international engineering abroad programs are dual degree, each a five-year curriculum plan, with the fourth year spent abroad. You can inquire with your academic advisor about either option.


16.  What is a living and learning community and how can I participate in one?

UConn Living & Learning Communities are a unique experience to reside with a group of students with similar interests. While Engineering house is the most popular amongst our students, there are many other LLCs that suit our students as well, such as Innovation House, Eco House, and WiMSE House to name a few. More information on the LLCs can be found here.


17.  What is a first year experience (FYE) course and should I enroll in one?

UConn offers a wide-range of 1-credit First Year Experience courses designed to help students adjust to the academic, social, and cultural life at UConn.  The fall semester FYE course listing can be found here and the FYE course descriptions can be found here.


18.  I am a BRIDGE student within the School of Engineering.  What policies and procedures apply to me?

If you are a “BRIDGE required” student, your acceptance into the School of Engineering is contingent upon your participation in the BRIDGE Program. You can find more information here


19.  As an engineering student, will I have the opportunity to participate in an internship and or co-op experience?

The SoE does not require internships as part of the curriculum, however, there are many opportunities to and avenues to obtain one. The Center for Career Development assists students in finding and securing internships and co-ops through career fairs, workshops, and one-on-one meetings. The SoE also holds two engineering only career fairs in which many students obtain internship opportunities from.


20.  I am an honors student.  What policies and procedures apply to me? 

Honors students will be assigned both an engineering advisor and an honors advisor and will meet with both departments during orientation. More information regarding the honors program can be found here.